05 November 2012

Deum fortem viuum

This last weekend I visited a friend who had the most exquisite (and by her account expensive) picture in her house. It was a framed piece of vellum with the Latin words:

Deum fortem vivum: quando veniam & apparebo ante faciem Dei.
Fuerunt mihi lacrimæ meæ panes die ac nocte: dum dicitur mihi quotidie: Ubi est Deus tuus?
Hæc recordatus sum, & effudi in me animam meam: quoniam transibo in locum tabernaculi admirabilis, usque ad donum Dei: 
In voce exultationis 




The font and the faint lines however made it difficult to read and transcribe correctly. I did however, after searching for several similar phrases get to the source and the English translation:

It is part of Psalms 42:3-5 (although the Latin numbering indicates 41)

the strong living God. When will I draw close and appear before the face of God?
My tears have been my bread, day and night. Meanwhile, it is said to me daily: “Where is your God?”
These things I have remembered; and my soul within me, I have poured out. For I will cross into the place of the wonderful tabernacle, all the way to the house of God, with a voice of exultation

   






 

No comments:

Post a Comment