08 March 2013

A Scientist and Religious Person talk. (A Socratic dialogue) Part 2

RP: Oh, Hi there, have you come to your senses yet?
S: My senses are definitely with me. I really liked our little chat the other day, but I'm afraid we have more to talk about.
RP: Definitely.
S: Right then shall we start?
RP: Yes, lets!
S: Well then, I think we need to set some ground rules for this chat so that we don't talk in circles. Agreed?
RP: It's you who is talking in circles, but OK, some rules are always good.
S: Do you mind if I ask you a question before we get to the rules.
RP: By all means, go straight ahead.
S: What do you hope to accomplish with this chat?
RP: What do you mean?
S: What is it you want to change? Why are we having this discussion, when all I wanted in the first place is to be left alone to do my experiments and teach some science?
RP: Oh, that’s easy, I want you to believe in GOD.
S: Then this discussion can be over right now, I DO believe in God. But I think the way I "define/see/think about" God may not agree with what you want me to beleive.
RP: How dare you define God!?
S: That's why I put it in quotes. I think everybody "defines" God differently because they have different experiences with God.
RP: But that doesn't change the fact that he is there and greater than we can imagine.
S: Of course it doesn't. But do you agree that everybody has a different experience of God.
RP: Yes. Everybody experiences God differently.
S: And therefore thinks about God differently.
RP: Yes.
S: Can we also agree that humans are fallible?
RP: Of course they are. The Bible says so right in the very beginning.
S: Wonderful, we can agree on some things. We are making progress.
RP: Are you going to make me agree with everything you say?
S: Perhaps. But I have a suspicion there are deeper issues that need resolving.
RP: I don't have deeper issues! I just want you to believe!
S: Great so now we have a motive. But we also have agreed on two points. Can we call them facts, or do you have a different word for them?
RP: Two? I only saw one.
S: No, two! 1) Humans experience differently. and 2) Humans are fallible.
RP: Indeed. And we can call them "facts" if you like.
S: Excellent! I'm so glad we are following a scientific method.
RP: What? I don't want to follow a scientific method!
S: That slipped out, but I'm afraid when you are talking to me you'll have to.
RP: Um, right, maybe I can still convince you.
S: On to the next rule! But once again, a question first. What is it you want to know from science? Are there any things you would like to know that will make you live your life as a Religious Person?
RP: I have several: the Precambrain explosion, Monarch butterfly migration, modern fossils in Australia, the still missing link, or for that matter all missing links, the primordial soup experiment and Haeckel embryos.
S: That's quite a list, you have there! I cannot fail to notice that all your questions are related in some way to evolution. You have no questions for science about how to live your life? Be a good person? Have fun?
RP: No God has already told me all I need to know about that.
S: And what do you think will happen (to you) once I have answered all your questions about evolution to your satisfaction?
RP: Hm. I have not thought about that. I'm hoping that while answering you will see that the theory of evolution is wrong and that God made everything the way it is now. And therefore you will start believing in God.
S: But I have told you that I already do.
RP: In that case that your belief in God changes to more closely resemble my own.
S: But wouldn't that be boring if everybody believed the same thing?
RP: Not at all.
S: I'll let that stand there right now, but back to your questions. You have no questions about how electricity works or how a car moves forward, or how aeroplanes and birds stay in the sky? Which admittedly is more closely related to my area of science.
RP: Does that mean you won't answer my questions?
S: Not at all, I'll do my best but I may have to refer to some people whom I consider experts.
RP: But your experts are all scientists and most of them are even atheists!
S: Indeed. You got me there, but on the other hand how would you convince a person on the street to believe in God?
RP: Well, first I'll tell him or her a great story, then illustrate the reason for telling and how God has changed the character's lives...
S: and that if he starts believing his life will similarly change for the better.
RP: Exactly.
S: Where do you get your stories? How can you be sure that the story you just told is good?
RP: There's the Bible. And then there are all the Saints and Priests and even ordinary people that have shared their stories of God.
S: How do you know the story has been created by a religious person?
RP: It contains a life lesson that would not be possible without God.
S: Would you consider the author an expert?
RP: No, never! Nobody can ever be an expert on God!
S: I did not say "an expert on God". I simply wanted to know whether you consider the author an expert on life, human interaction, religious matters?
RP: If you put it that way, maybe, it depends.
S: On what? Track record? Statements made that match your own? Impact on your life?
RP: Yes, no, all of the above.
S: I can see you are confused. Shall we stop here for today. I promise to answer you questions soon.
RP: OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment